Tuesday, June 30, 2009

curiosity squashed the peach.

tag, you're it - mysteries of my front yard- napa, ca

wednesday, while at work, i met a six-year-old named georgia.  she was the wandering, curious daughter of a client who was busy browsing around the sale racks.  georgia was your typical,  bratty-seeming little rascal, but i'm a sucker for anyone under three feet, so i gave her the chance that any single-digit person deserves.  her interest in me was clearly reluctant--she, keeping her distance near the tweed-upholstered seats.  eventually though, her curiosity got the best of her.  our interaction went something like this:

me: "hi"
g: "hi"
me: "how's it going?"
g: "good"
me: "oh good. what's your name?"
g: "georgia.  what's your name."
me: "leah.  how old are you?"
g: "six. ::long pause::  are you getting a cold, or is that what your voice really sounds like?"
me: "this is what my voice really sounds like."
g: "oh."
me: "does my voice sound weird?"
g: "kinda."
me: "how old are you again?...oh right, you're six."
g:  how old are you?"
me: "guess."
g: "are you still in school?"
me: "nope, i'm finished with school. i'm old."
g: "fifteen?"
me: "nope."
g: "sixteen?" i shake my head no.  "seventeen." shake.  "eighteen." shake. "nineteen-twenty-twenty-one. twenty-two..."  
::she couldn't remember what came after twenty-two.::
g: "twenty-four?"
me: nod.  "good guess."  
:)
[funny to think that when i was in the sixth grade, a second-grader thought i was twenty-five.  probably because i was then as tall as her mother.]  

No comments: